25 April 2009

Into the River

You think you're nickel slick but I got your penny change.

I've always wanted to say that to someone. This will have to do.

I've begun to think about my life. I know, I know... yap yap yap, heard it all before. However, this time my thinking may be counterproductive... that's why I'm THINKING about it.

I've been feeling tired as of late. Yawns go unnumbered. I'd like to think that maybe life is just catching up with me. The paranoid part of me thinks I'm getting sick.

The truth:
I AM sick. I have been for a long time. I feel it, like dirt that won't come off your skin or the feeling you get right before you sneeze. It's there and you don't want it to be. Sickness hangs over me like a bad smell. Everytime I shut my eyes, it lingers in my thoughts.
The thoughts I'm plagued with now are ones like, "Should I go off my meds? I so miss the person I used to be. This person is lifeless, listless, not worth giving a name."

When I was off the medicine (Lamictal, Pristiq, Risperdal, Ambien CR, Cymbalta) I felt buzzed, alive, fresh. My worst problem was being too electric and "shocking" everyone that cared for me. It also led to self mutilation, more than I let on. It was like that feeling you get when you're so pumped for something, you just scream into the air and/or hit something. Well, the person that was there to hit was me. I needed something that would release all the energy, so I turned to cutting. Not your run'o the mill "teen girl cutting" but I mean deep lacerations on my legs. It was so I could stitch them back up.
Only half of my concentration goes to cutting the epidermis and down into the adipose tissue. I let it bleed for a few minutes, then I get out my steralized equiptment and start to working on fixing me up right nice. Curved leather needles and dental floss.... Everything so put together. I am both ashamed and proud of my scars.
I must here apologize for a lie. Maybe two. Last fall, when I woke to suddenly have a swollen cheek and black eye, I had done it to myself. I couldn't sleep, so I got up, grabbed my large jar of coins and started hitting the side of my face... slow and soft at first but then, gaining speed, beginning to see the actual vessels break beneath my blows. I continue that for a good ten minutes or at least until I could no longer feel the right side of my face. I look in the mirror at my slowly bubbling portrait, caress it, then lean onto my bed, starting to feel the flush - what's left after the rush. I slowly, but surely go to sleep, not caring about a thing in the world.............


This part, I don't miss. If I really care about my heath and life, I don't miss it. ......but I miss it.
Nothing I've ever found has been able to do that for me, and I swear to God I will not take drugs.

Herein lies my dilemna.

I wish more people would understand what it feels like to be an adolescent and to be labeled with everything mental illness in the book. Schizophrenia was one of the early ones, anxiety diorders, major depression, panic disorder, and now.... Bioplar Disorder. My initials, you see. I belong with it and it belongs to me.
Bipolar and I are one.

No, I just wish more people were able to see what was going on from the outside, tell me, then let ME choose the right decision. It is my life, but I need others as tools for the outside world.

Sometimes, early in the morning or during the middle of class..... I imagine myself leaping out the window and flying. Flying, not falling. If you fall, you're doomed. If you fly, you're free.
I need to get out of this. I need to break free from this bubble. I need to burst forth and leap from a tall building, splatter myself on a canvas and say, "See?! That's how it's done!" It's not suffocating. Its more like the frog in the pot with the water's temp being slowly turned up.

I know it's coming.

Yeah, it's scary not knowing what "it" is, but that's part of life. The unknowing.

I could never explain this, I don't think.

I leave you with this: life is never what we hope for and death is relative.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Becca. I am so very proud of you for saying all that was said in this blog. I want the best for you because YOU are such a good person, you have always been my friend, and natural instints want me to help you. I cannot help what I don't understand. And I don't want to step on your toes in your own personal life. YOU better KNOW that NO MATTER WHAT life throws at you, you have an awesome family that I know loves you, and good friends to help you with whatever you want them to. I'll always be here for you, in your time of need or to just go to zuppas and help you eat some fudge. I hope that it has been a blessing living with us as it as for me. I wouldn't change a thing about these last 9 months, yes it got hard, and sometimes it was fun. We all took a little something in our memories back with us on our lifes journey. I hope no matter where your road goes that you'll think of me as I will think of you often. I will keep in touch but sometimes things just fall apart, but I will never ever forget you and the impact that you have brought on my life. I love you. Sleep well :)

Allison Hannon said...

Becca darling. You have such an amazing soul. I only wish mine were half of what yours is. You have such a way of making the worst parts about life seeming like the best. You are loved. This I can promise you with all my heart. There is no one who could be "BeeBee" better than you. You are a blessing to our family and I know God loves us so much because YOU are in our family. Life is hard, there is no question about that. It pulls us down and then proceeds to kick us while we are on the ground. It makes death seem so much easier. You see, that is where we as a people are wrong. Death and Life are both hard. When we are alive, there seems like there's not enough time, money, space, choices, etc. But you see in death we only have one. Simply, to watch. We don't get to participate. We don't get a say, we don't get even the small amount of choices we once complained about. We watch as the world goes by and those that we love live there lives without us. But life, although hard, seems to always have more in store for us. There will always be a sunrise to our sunset. There will always be sun in the summer, color in the fall, snow in the winter, and life in the spring. We have the most awesome life. We also have the most amazing thing to accompany it, family. You are my only little sister. You are a best friend. But most of all you are part of me, part of who I am, part of my existence. I know my life would be drastically different had you not been in my life. I know we didn't always get along and that there were times when we would rather fight then be friends. I also know that I love you more than simple words on a page could ever say or mean. I will always be there for you and no matter where life may take us or how hard it will beat us into the ground I know, in my heart, that you WILL always be there for me and I WIll always be there for you. Never forget the love that is felt for you everyday by the hundreds that know you. You are special in so many ways and you will always remain so. I love you.

erikA35 said...

Becca-i love you so much-and I wish that I could do more to help you. i would fly to the moon and back for you---is that a real saying? haha---anyways pretty much i would do anything for you you are so amazing-and reading this made me hurt inside-I just want you to be happy and if there is anything i can do to help you do that please tell me. thank you for always being there for me and willing to listen to me, laugh with me, be a dork with me, watch movies...talk with me. it honestly means so much-i know that you will always be there for me and that is such an amazing thing to know! I just hope i can be as good a friend to you as you are to me. I LOVE YOU